The terms egg freezing with embryo freezing are always confused with each other. To summarize, the egg refers to the egg cells collected from the mother, and the embryo refers to the fertilized egg with the sperm of the father. Therefore, the two freezing processes are completely different from each other as both the reasons for freezing and the processes.
The embryo freezing techniques can be used more than 30 years. If we examine embriyo freezing in the medical language, the chemical called cryoprotectant is frozen and the embryos are stored in liquid tanks containing nitrogen and -196 degrees in compartments dedicated to the individual. Because the tank contains nitrogen, it prevents the embryos from entering into any reaction and cellular activity, it is preserved for many years without deteriorating its structure.
Why Is Embryo Freezing Done?
After the IVF treatments performed, when couples want to keep their remaining embryos by freezing embryos after the embryo transfer process. With freezing they guarantee themselves for a future treatment. In particular, in the absence of reproductive cells in one of the couple, when there was needed an egg/sperm donation or an embryo donation, in the treatment where the reproductive cells were taken from the outside, and couples want to have siblings for their babies with the 100% the same DNA, embryo donation is clearly a solution.
In this way, especially maternal candidates, with age over 35, without risking the exhaustion of their eggs or the deterioration of their quality, can safely secure their next baby. In addition, mothers who are afraid of being re-treated or being injected may opt for embryo freezing to avoid this whole process of treatment.
In order to have a baby, couples who have started to be in vitro fertilisation treatment and have experienced the embryo formation process through the use of various drugs will not need to live in preparation stage for the next pregnancy requests and therefore medication use. In addition, the couples will gain much more advantage in the material section, one of the most challenging aspects. Therefore, it is in their own interest that couples who are receiving IVF treatment and who are left with high quality embryos after the transfer process should perform for freeze their embryos.
If we look in detail at who is performing an embryo freezing after the Cyprus IVF treatment process:
- After the IVF treatment, in the following years, those who want to have siblings for their babies,
- Especially for the treatment for the next baby, who want to have siblings with the babies they have with 100% same DNA (especially in the treatment of the egg donation, we use fresh eggs, so the same donor may not give eggs in the future. Or similarly, the sperm taken from the sperm bank may not remain in the stocks of the sperm bank in the future.)
- Couples who do not want to experience the same treatment costs in the unlikely event of a negative result, or in the unlikely event of a miscarriage during pregnancy,
- Chemotherapy is a cancer treatment that uses drugs to stop the growth of cancer cells with egg or sperm cells to, so for the couples facing with these treatments, should consider embryo freezing.
- Those who do not want to undergo the IVF treatment process again or are afraid of needles and treatment
For the described reasons above, are all valid reasons to choose embryo freezing.
Transfer of Frozen Embryos
When couples want to have a baby with their frozen embryos, the following steps take place:
- On the 2nd day of her period, the mother starts taking medicines in the form of tablets to prepere her endometrium. Folic acid supplements are provided to the mother for vitamin supplementation during the treatment process.
- At the end of the first 7 days of the medication, an ultrasound examination will be required to look at the wall of the uterus. According to the endometirium size, medication doses are regulated.
- About 12th day of medications, the ultrasound measurement is requested again and the other medicines that prepare the mother for pregnancy are started.
- The average of medication use is 16-18 days. On the other hand, the mother is invited to the Cyprus Miracle IVF by Dr. Firdevs and the transfer of the embriyos are carried out.
- Mother will be needed in Cyprus only for embryo transfer day, which is only 1 day.
After the scientific studies on this subject, it has been proven that the embryos that have been frozen are likely to develop pregnancy even as a result of a time-out of 10 to 15 years. However, according to the directorship specified by the Cyprus Ministry of Health, embryos frozen can only be stored in liquid nitrogen for 5 years.